Saturday, September 15, 2012

Mini Vacay

Matthew had a light week and decided it was time to get away.  Woo hoo!  The waves at Tybee Island, GA were looking good so that was our destination.  We got the camper pulled in front of the house and began cleaning and taking inventory.  Matthew made a reservation at a campsite on the island which is near the river.  Matthew talked to a friend who used to live in that area, and she convinced us to forgo the campsite and look for a condo/hotel instead.  Somehow we landed a great deal on a unit in a house that was only 1/2 block from the beach!  It was just a couple of blocks from the pier.  It was PERFECT!

We drove down Wednesday.  Claire was a champ.  We only had to stop once to feed and change her.  When we picked up the key she was getting hungry and our unit wasn't quite ready so I fed her in their parking lot.  It worked out great.  I received the call that our unit was ready at the same time Claire finished eating so off we went.

I knew as soon as we pulled up to the house I was in love.  It was built in the 1920's, and I asked the boy who booked our reservation if the house was haunted.  He wasn't sure how to respond.  Ha!  We had 450 sq. feet of wonderfulness.  It reminded us of Matthew's old apartment in Greensboro.  You walked into the living/dining room.  There was a bedroom off to on side and the kitchen and bathroom were to the back.  Everyone shared the porch (which was a wrap around), but we never saw anyone else enjoying.  Needless to say we did!

The beach was beautiful.  We took an evening walk and found some dinner at Fannie's.  Their t-shirts say, "WTF (Welcome to Fannie's)."  I had the shrimp burger and Matthew tried their fish tacos.  The service was OK but the food is good.  Poor Claire.  We had to put her back in the car to go to the store.  She was NOT happy, but persevered.   

Tybee Island Beach Pier


Thursday morning we were on the beach by 9:30.  The weather was beautiful.  It was not too hot for Claire.  Matthew went surfing while us girls stayed under the tent.  Claire had a snack and took a nap.  I managed to get some reading done while she napped.  It was WONDERFUL!  When she woke up, we went down to the water to cool off.  Claire loves the water.  I look forward to getting her in some swim lessons.  It was fun to watch her curiosity as the water flowed past and around her.  She would stick her hand in the water as it flowed back out to sea.  She also giggled excitedly.  Claire had one more snack and a nap and after that it was time to go back to the A/C.  We had lunch, relaxed and cooled off, then went for an early evening stroll.  The pier was fun because you can really watch the tides.
Claire loves her hat and shades.

We both love our new beach umbrella.

Friday morning Matthew had his best surfing session, and Claire and I repeated Thursday morning's schedule.  After lunch on the beach, there was a little rain which didn't last long, but we went back in anyway.  The next adventure was to see the Tybee Island Lighthouse.  I don't think I have ever been inside a lighthouse before.  We purchased our tickets while the sweet ladies working oohed and ahhed over Claire's cuteness.  Matthew carried Claire up the 178 steps to the top with me trailing behind.  He stood in the doorway with her and I said, "No way Claire is going out there!"  I am afraid of heights so I wasn't sure I was going out there.  I took Claire and Matthew went around the outside.  When he returned, he took Claire and I ventured out on the ledge.  I made it ALL the way around!  After checking out the keeper's cottages, we headed for an early dinner at Uncle Bubba's, who is Paula Deen's uncle.  I had the low country boil which was about a 1/2 pound of shrimp, 4 (largish) red potatoe, 4 sausages, and 2 short corns on the cob.  Matthew had to help finish it because I was about to explode.  He had blackened shrimp and scallops.  DELICIOUS!  Claire was a champ, again.  I did have to take her out of her car seat, but it was fine.  Matthew was able to hold her for a bit while I attempted to finish my peel and eat shrimp.  We went back to the condo and let our dinner settle.  Since we were leaving the next day, we had to take an evening stroll on the beach.  It was nice, but too close to Claire's bedtime.

Tybee Island Lighthouse

Saturday morning we packed up the truck early, and Matthew headed to the beach.  Claire and I rode into town to check-out and return the keys, I gassed up the truck, and we headed back to the beach.  Matthew had already set up the umbrella for us.  After a few attempts, Claire finally settled down for a nap.  We packed it all up at lunch and headed home.

This was a MUCH needed mini vacation for the three of us.  I highly recommend Tybee Island.  We were on the south end of the island on the ocean, and I thought the beach was very clean and very nice.  Of course, we were there after the busy season had just ended.  I hope we get to go back there.  It is a long drive.  Just about as long as I would want to spend in the car in one day.  It was Claire's limit, too.  I must get sore riding in that seat all day.  I am so thankful that I can be at home so we can take these little vacations.  I hope next time will be Claire's first camper trip! 

No comments: