Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Crazy couple of weeks!

Greetings! The past couple of weeks have been nutty! My orchestra had a concert last week. We combine the four high school orchestras into one large group. They rehearse separately for 9 weeks, and then they have 2 rehearsals with a guest conductor before the concert. It was a great success! With 700 seats, we still had people standing in the back.

Last weekend, I took a Youth Symphony student to Winston-Salem to participate in the NC Honors Orchestra. We arrived to the hotel Friday afternoon. A basson player from Asheville joined us. Then my whirlwind weekend began!

The NC Music Educator's Conference is happening at the sametime. On Saturday, we had a "new" music reading session. While the students are rehearsing, the teachers gather and read through some new music. The conductor let me play her cello (which was really nice). She got tired of conducting, so we traded places. I got to conduct an orchestra of my peers.

I was unable to get online all weekend, because my computer would find a wireless connection but chose not to connect. Anyway...

Sunday's concert was AMAZING! I also watched a choral performance which was very inspiring. I attend various sessions Monday and drove home late Monday night. I had a good time catching up with friends I see about once or twice a year, and I made a new friend! It's always good to talk to other music teachers.

It's good to be home. :)

1 comment:

Jen said...

All this time and now THREE posts!? I am reading slowly to enjoy!

I am so happy you have a full-time position, but I admit I think it's detracting from your blog time. I protest.