Saturday, April 9, 2011

I'm Back!

On Tuesday, March 29th I mailed off my little blue National Board box. I had a good friend go with me. I checked, double checked, and triple checked that everything was in the box. Surprisingly, I was not too reluctant in handing it over to the UPS man. I was quite relieved!

We had a lovely lunch at Blue Sky Cafe, and then did some fun shopping. I returned to school for a rehearsal of "Fame" since it opened that week. Wednesday morning I went with 7 students to our local news station, WLOS, for a segment about our show. One of the anchors interviewed me briefly, and then the kids sang one the songs. I wish I could see the video, because I didn't know what to do! I sat there smiling, she talked, asked me a question, and I just stared at her for a sec.... but I got through it, and I had several kids at school say, "Hey, Mrs. King! I saw you on T.V. this morning!"

I had not realized how much that blue box had been weighing me down! Apparently I was a totally different person for 2 or 3 months, and I did not see Matthew very much for that last month. My students had noticed, too.

Working on National Boards is a rewarding process. While I was stressed and not being my usual self, I was doing a lot of reflecting on my teaching. It is very humbling, and a lot of times I thought I was a terrible teacher. I feel like I found my mojo again. It is up to the people who read my stuff to decided whether I pass. Analytical writing is not my forte because I have trouble explaining why I do something. (Haha?)

Anyhoo... I still have the assessment test to take on May 25th. This is after my Spring concert, and I will miss school that day.

Meanwhile, I have one week of school then SPRING BREAK!!! I am looking forward to that very much. Matthew did a wonderful job helping with the everyday chores, and my deep cleaning weekends were thrown by the wayside while I was busy writing and rehearsing. I will spend my break cleaning, reading, and having fun. Mom and dad are going to come up one day to see the Biltmore flowers. Matthew's birthday is that week, and his brother's girlfriend's birthday, too. There will be a big gathering at the King Ranch.

All in all, it feels good to me, again!!!!! :)

1 comment:

Jen said...

Yay! Glad to have you back :-)