Tuesday, May 22, 2012

One Week

One week ago at 11:00pm my contractions began.  After a couple of hours, they became regular at 4 minutes apart.  We called the doctor and were off to the hospital. 

We arrived sometime close to 3am.  I don't really remember because my back labor was pretty intense.  The first nurse would keep me calm and talk me through them.  They wheeled me upstairs to the labor and delivery room where they had already ordered an epidural for me.  What a relief that was!

Matthew and mom began contacting everyone around 6am Wednesday morning.  They broke my water around 8:30am.  I was checked throughout the day and was not making progress.  Dr. Simmons checked me around 1pm and said I haven't made any more progress.  After adjusting medicine and waiting two more hours of no progress, we decided it was time for baby so I was prepped for a c-section. 

I couldn't believe I was going to have a baby!  Matthew was able to come in when I was finished being prepped.  He held my hand while a very sweet nurse talked me through the whole process. 

At 4:28pm the room was filled with the sound of our daughter's screams.  It was a great sound because she is what they call a meconium baby meaning she had pooped while in the womb.  They like for them to scream because it means they most likely don't have it in their lungs.  I watched them clean her on tv screen while the doctor finished with me.

My sister, Michelle, was able to come back to recovery with me.  She is a labor and delivery nurse in Gastonia and had to go to work that night.  The grandmas were the only other ones at the hospital with us.  The nurses let them come back since it was getting so late in the evening. 

After making sure my vitals were good and baby looked good we were moved to our room.  Claire had her first bath, and we began our first night as a family.  


Published with Blogger-droid v2.0.4

No comments: