Tuesday, November 18, 2008

And then there was one~

WARNING: This is a sad note.

A couple of weeks ago, one of our chickens, Gladys, went missing. She was good a flying and was being picked on, so we thought maybe she "flew the coop", so to speak.

Last weekend, I go out to check on them, and I only see one walking around. Upon further inspection, I found one... not walking (I won't go into details). Matthew found the other one later.

For once, I did not cry. We actually started with 6 chickens four years ago. We had two die within a month, and I cried. I guess I have had a lot of animals pass through here in the last few years. Please don't misunderstand me. I am quite sad. Especially about Camilla. It was time to get somemore chickens since they had stopped laying, but still not a pleasant way to go.

6 comments:

Jen said...

I am so sorry about your chickens. I think after you live a "farm" life for awhile you get "kind of" used to losing animals. I understand why you didn't cry, but I know you are sad. Nature can be so harsh!

Babsy said...

I'm so sorry :(

Jana said...

Grodie
That is a very sad story...

Tiff said...

~You can't say I didn't warn you.

I just thought I should let everyone know, since people like to ask me "How are your chickens?"

I had to delete the part about Harry Potter being hot, cause some poor sap googled it and found my post. Yay "Feedjit" :P

Anonymous said...

Oh, I'm sorry. Do you know what happened? We have to keep an eye on our cats and small dogs here b/c coyotes and mountain lions will disappear them. Breaks my heart to lose an animal.

Tiff said...

Thanks. I'm sorry, too.
I'm not sure what got them. Matthew thinks he's seen a coyote, and I know we've heard them.

Just to let everyone know... the last chicken is gone, now. I found her this morning. I want to know HOW this "critter" was able to get her. Unless he climbed the fence.

I'm pretty sad to not have my "girls". BUT... we'll get a new batch in the spring.