Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Gas Crisis in WNC

I am wondering if this whole ordeal here in Hendersonville, Fletcher, Arden, & Asheville is necessary.

I grabbed my "phone cam" just in time to take this picture of the Gas House on Hwy64 East going to my house. (I am not as good as Barbara is at taking photos/video while driving) :)

In case, you couldn't see...
The line goes another 1/4 mile up the road (at least). I thought they were waiting at the other gas station... Matthew told me that they were already lining up when the station had a chain across the driveway. THEY WERE WAITING FOR THE TANKER TO SHOW UP!

This is the scene at any station in this area lucky enough to get gas (until it's drained dry in a few short hours), and our police officers have to direct traffic to keep fights from breaking out!

Honestly, I think we would have enough gas if everyone would quit freaking out. But??? Would we? I don't know how much the media is influencing everyone. I'd say we should panic when the school calls and says they can't run buses because of a fuel shortage. (Which HAS NOT HAPPENED!!!.. yet)

Meanwhile... to the people who still have a half tank of gas and are sitting in any line like this one... please don't panic. I wonder if everyone quit "topping" off their tanks, the people who really need gas would be better off. Plan your trips into town. Make trips that are needed, and the plan the route.


On a side note, I am driving a bus after school. Today, I am supposed to drop off a student at a bank across from a gas station. People were lined up and blocking my "normal" path, so I had to go a different way. As I came around to the stoplight, the "new" idots were lined up and blocking the intersection, so I had to sit through 2 green lights before I could turn.

People of WNC... quit freaking out! Be the liberal, environmentaly conscious people (you claim to be) and save gas!

5 comments:

Jen said...

What is going on over there? I live in the heart o foil refineries, and if there was something wrong, we would know it. No gas issues here!

Babsy said...

What? I haven't heard anything about this!

That is crazy. Do you want me to mail you some gasoline?

Tiff said...

For some reason the tankers have not been coming with gas. The local news hasn't helped the situation.

Barbara,
I'll trade ya some peach jam for some gasoline :)

Anonymous said...

Wow...no issues in Kentucky either. Our gas price is forty cents lower than it was last week at this time ($3.60)

Sorry!

Tiff said...

Thanks, Melanie. I forgot that the other crappy thing is when they do have fuel, it's over $4 a gallon. Can we say gouging???