Saturday, July 5, 2008

Bye Bye, Birdies!

We have two underhangs on our front porch and for the last 3 years an Eastern Phoebe has built her nest. Last year we tried to thwart her efforts by placing items in the corners, but she managed to build "around" it.


After the nest is built the eggs are laid. About a month later, we watch both parents feed the young. Meanwhile, if we try to enjoy the porch, she/he sits in the bush next to the porch and fusses. A month after the birds hatch, they begin to test their wings. Just watching this event makes up for the two months of bird crap on the porch.


After they leave the nest... Phoebe lays another round of eggs! So we do it again for 2 more months.


Round 2 stayed in the nest a little longer than usual, so for the past 3 days I've been telling them that they were too old to stay in the nest and needed to fly away.


Here is the video from today when the last bird left the nest. I missed the actual flight, but it's still kind of cute, plus Moldy (my cat) is hilarious. (Sorry, Jen, I forgot to say "Bye" at the end :)

3 comments:

Jen said...

Funny--I heard you say "Bye Bye birdies." So there.

Hi Moldy! You are so cute!

Maybe I should get Pepper to do a video talking to Moldy.

Tiff said...

Dangit! You're right... I did say "Bye Bye baby birdies"! You caught me :)

Moldy talking on camera was unusual, but she was extremely worried about the baby birds. Yeah, right...

Babsy said...

That is pretty cool. I like how you tell him to stop pooping on your porch.