Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Yeller Squash

It's that wonderful time of year when the garden starts to give us yellow squash. My mother-in-law is out of town, so I am collecting her squash and ours too! Monday, I had LOTS of squash.


The first batch I cut, blanched, drip dried, and put into freezer bags. This was the first time I've tried this, and it was quite easy! Now, you can only use this frozen squash for casseroles because it breaks down the fibers.

The last three squash were saved for a very special purpose... Grab your Zetia, we're frying squash! It's our favorite summertime treat, next to fried okra.

So I take my awesome knife, purchase at Marshall's for $6... notice it has a non-stick surface for slicing.

See how I slice the squash, yet the slices STILL stick to the blade...

Damn... I forgot I'm left-handed. Of course, I've had this knife for a couple of years, so I'm accustomed to the quirks.

So I continue to slice the squash and cover it with Self-Rising Cornmeal. This was a first, but as you can see it worked wonderfully.


All parts of the squash not used are returned to the Earth through composting. This is a great way to reduce waste and "give" back. :)

My next project is...


which I will turn into...


4 comments:

Jen said...

Tiff,

I want to come to your house! You make jam, grow squash AND make homemade pickles! You and I can be Martha Stewarts together, with less snobbery and illegal activity!

Great tip for freezing squash. One day when I have a garden, I'll do it!

mimi said...

Tiff, when did you become Julia Child!!! I was going to say Martha Stewart but looked to my left and noticed someone else was reading my mind!!!! I'm getting hungry for squash....

Jana said...

so that is what I did wrong when I tried to freeze squash, no blanching....

I will give it a try this year because my squish plants are taking over my yard!

Jen said...

Jana said "Squish Plants."
Ha ha ha ha