Thursday, July 31, 2008

(Cue Song) Back to life... back to reality

Well, summer is passing (cue audience sigh). (I am going to brag on myself now.)

This is my second year as the Program Director for the Hendersonville Symphony Orchestra's Summer Strings Camp. I am really excited about camp this year. I have 49 students registered, and we are expecting at least 5 more to walk in Monday morning! If everyone shows, we will have 4 over our goal! Last year, there were only 39 students.

Next week will be great! I have a staff of 8 who are all professionals from the area. The students have orchestra rehearsals, chamber ensembles, theory class, and a "special event" at the end of everyday.

So, back to life... I received a phone call telling me to check my school email. It had my schedule for the workdays which begin Aug. 18. :P

Back to reality... I have to set the alarm next week, so I can be at camp by 8:30am. At least we will have fun!

Now, here you go for your viewing pleasure...

3 comments:

Jen said...

I can't believe how late school is starting for you all! My friend Michele is going back to teach starting MONDAY. They get no paid teacher workdays either.

I know in BR we used to start the second week in August--but the very first? Insane.

I used to love summer strings...

Tiff said...

There is some "rule" in our county that states students cannot begin school before Aug. 25, the week before Labor Day. It could be because of all the apple farmers. August is harvest time.

Are the workdays required? No pay... and I thought 50% sucked.

Jen said...

No not required. But seriously--who has time to get their classroom ready unless they work for a week or so?