Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Ruby Throat

Finally, I was able to capture our Ruby Throated Hummingbird. Hummingbirds are so funny to watch, because they are extremely territorial. Our male will chase off any others trying to drink from the feeder. We have seen him wait in the bush next to the porch and dare another hummer to get a drink.

His "flirting" ritual is quite amusing, as well. He makes a wide arc while making noises at each peak and a different noise traveling in between.

I am most amazed by the memory of these little birds. I did not have a feeder up for awhile, yet they have been coming to the porch to the exact spot where the feeder goes. Needless to say, I finally rememberd to buy one on a Lowe's trip.

Here is a snipet of a typical trip to the Super Sugar Water. It's only about a half cup of sugar diluted in a cup of warm water. :)

3 comments:

Jen said...

How can you not love a hummingbird? The first year we lived here, I was in the living room and one came right up to the window, peeing in. I went to the store for a feeder that day! Since that summer I haven't had any more visitors to the feeder, save for icky bugs, so I had to eventually take it down. Great video!

Jen said...

Ha! I meant PEERING in!
I said *peeing*!
Hahahahaha
Sorry.

Babsy said...

So peaceful.